When Did I Get So Old?

DaGoddess @ 21:55

Really. I want to know. How did this happen?

I got home from Phoenix late Sunday evening and I’m still exhausted. I sound like I spent a week at an amusement park, too, with my scratchy voice and all. Granted, I had a very long day on Friday — got up at 5:30am and didn’t go to bed until early Saturday morning. Saturday, had a surprise blues festival (yeah, I know, how does one not know about that?), and then we went back to the blues club for more shooting. Temple, Patty, and I worked our asses off, that’s for sure. Sunday started off with a trip to a Nissan dealership* so Patty could get an oil change before we headed home.

We ate breakfast while waiting for the car. The Eggery was good, although my bacon was a bit overdone. From there, we said goodbye to Temple and began our journey west. We stopped in Joshua Tree later in the afternoon, menacing clouds building in the sky. I’d checked the forecast and rain had been predicted for San Diego, which did cause us some concern. We didn’t want to have to deal with rain while crossing the mountains. Fortunately, we ended up with no rain and the rest of the trip went quite well. Except…while we were getting our camera gear back in the car at Joshua Tree, the car door slammed into my back. Freaky. It was as if nature was telling me to get the hell out of there. My upper back took the brunt of the door, leaving my neck and shoulders sore.

The last couple of days, I’ve been fighting exhaustion as well as pain and numbness in my arms and hands. Today is the first day that the numbness and pain has been minimal and I’m quite glad it’s abating.

I’ve also spent the last few days fighting trying to get transportation to pool therapy. I had to cancel both sessions this week because there’s still no action from the insurance company. They’re really making this more difficult than it needs to be. Tomorrow will be more of the same, I’m sure. (Wish me luck!)

My voice is slowly but surely coming back. I have tons of photos to edit. And I’m starting to feel almost human again. I couldn’t pass up this opportunity (and I’ve already seen some very positive feedback — yay!) and I’m glad I went, but it’s obvious that it’s a little too much to expect me to keep running at full steam at this point. I gave it all I had, though, and the return, well, that remains to be seen. I do know, however, that once the photos are all done and shared, their worth will be duly noted and my participation will have been worth it.

So there you go. My big fun weekend in Phoenix. I got to spend time with people I really enjoy (y’hear that, and sadly, missed out on getting to meet Miachelle, but there will be other trips. I also hope to spend more time with people NOT shooting. And I hope to do this soon.

I’m off to finish the photos. It’s a huge project. There are MANY images. When I have some worthy of sharing, I’ll post. Until then, my Cone of Silence is in place. Kind of. Like you can keep me quiet for long. Ha!

*If you live in the Phoenix area, check out ABC Nissan on Camelback. They’re the only dealership with a service department open on Sundays and they’re offering oil changes for $10, too! ABC Nissan 1300 East Camelback Road Phoenix, AZ 85014


  1. I could never have done what you did… not anymore. Maybe you’re not as out of shape as you think. ;)

    I hope overdoing didn’t set your therapy back… :hug:

    Comment by Pam — 2009/02/26 @ 09:06

  2. What therapy? The insurance company is fucking with me right now. I’m so pissed.

    Anyhow, what I did, I’m now taking four days to recover from. It’s like I use up all the energy of three days and then it takes me that same amount of three days + a little more for recovery. It’s not right. It’s not right.

    Comment by DaGoddess — 2009/02/26 @ 09:39

  3. I am so sorry about your insurance issues. Makes you want to get a lawyer. Except I am a lawyer and guess what I’m doing RIGHT NOW? Holding with a health care provider . . . for seven minutes and fifty seconds, so far.

    It is not right.

    Just sayin’ . . .

    I hope you’re feeling better soon.

    Comment by Cheri @ Blog This Mom! — 2009/02/26 @ 11:58

  4. I love hearing about your adventure! I’m so sorry your having to deal with insurance issues about getting a ride. That sucks! I’ve got my auto insurance balking about paying for the stress test I was ordered to have before my doc would do surgery last August. They say it doesn’t have to do with the accident. Excuse? It was necessary before I could have surgery for the injury the accident caused. Aaagh.

    Hey, and by the way, you’ve been tagged:

    Comment by GW — 2009/02/26 @ 18:22

  5. Cheri, thanks. I do feel a bit better each day. As for the insurance company, it’s a long standing battle at this point. More than four years. Thank God for attorneys!

    Kimberley, I feel for you. My fingers are crossed that this is resolved quickly for you. As for the album, already did that one! January 2008

    Comment by DaGoddess — 2009/02/26 @ 22:45

  6. Hi hon,

    Popping in to say hi, and that we will definitely meet your next trip here. Email me, and it will be a date. I LOVE the Rhythm Room, and I am a huge fan of Big Pete Pearson. That man can groove!

    And thanks for the compliment and comments on my site. I lost my creative groove recently, but I can feel that tick coming back into my brain. I just needed to step away for a bit…


    Comment by Miachelle — 2009/02/27 @ 18:44

  7. Big Pete is definitely a special guy! He’s a doll. Wait until you see the photos I have of him!

    Loving the work you have up there now. I’m waiting to strike it rich so I can afford some of your pieces. They truly are exquisite.

    Comment by DaGoddess — 2009/02/27 @ 18:46

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.